Before You Hit International Waters

Yassss I have finally began my travel adventures. I have been looking to start my treks around the globe and it looks like my season is now!!! whoooooohoooo!! LOL. So I think my first trip will be to the Bahamas maybe a 2 night cruise, something small. I have in the meantime started my career as a travel agent. I am stoked. I do currently have a host Agency but I am an independent Travel Agent! Yessss!

So I knew that I want to go to Cuba whenever the option was made available. I do currently have a group cruise planned for February 17-21, 2019 and we will be leaving the Fort Lauderdale, Florida Port heading to Havana,Cuba and Nassau,Bahamas. For more information about that group cruise get more information here: Cuba,Bahamas Cruise Feb2019. 

We are able to travel to Cuba now as U.S. Citizens. Per the U.S. Embassy in Cuba there are some things that you should be aware of prior to traveling to Cuba. I do advise that you read up on those things in your leisure but if you are on a cruise and have your visa and all other papers and identifications you should be fine. Make sure that you have gotten the latest information.

Congress passed the REAL ID Act requiring states to issue identification that meets tougher security standards. Without a REAL ID, you must provide additional federally-accepted documents to:

  • Travel on commercial airlines (including US-based flights)
  • Enter military bases
  • Enter federal facilities

The regular drivers license will say “not for federal identification” if it does not meet the requirements under the REAL ID Act with your state DMV.

Of course you need to have your Passport if you do not currently have one. You can do the passport a few different ways. Some Travel Agents as well as (direct self led) can offer you passport assistance through a passport and visa agency who will basically just get the needed documentation from you and have the information expedited to the appropriate federal and state agencies for you.

There is a free service that allows U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. That service is called STEP and you can enroll here: STEP. Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program for support when abroad – this will help locate you in the event of an emergency or to send important health, safety, or emergency information while you are abroad.

I hope this information has been useful and lets start this adventure together! I will be providing lots of insights, going live, and talking to the locals in Havana! Stay tuned!